1. Add brine ingredients to a large sealable container.
2. Add the chicken, making sure all pieces are completely submerged. If needed, place a heavy plate over the chicken to keep it from rising to the top of the brine water. Seal tightly.
3. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours to overnight. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry.
1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cayenne, onion and garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
2. In another bowl, whisk water, egg and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Slowly whisk the flour mixture into the liquid mixture.
3. Dip each piece of chicken into the batter. Place dipped chicken onto a wire rack over a dish or tray, to allow the excess to drip off.
Refrigerate battered chicken, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes before frying.
1. Add 3 cups of vegetable oil to the Electric Skillet.
2. Turn the temperature control dial to 350°F to preheat.
3. When the light goes off, add battered chicken to the skillet (the chicken should not be entirely submerged in the oil).
4. Fry, turning once, until the chicken is deep golden-brown, 16 to 20 minutes.
5. Using a meat thermometer, the center of the chicken should be 165°F.
6. Transfer fried chicken to a brown bag or paper towels to drain.
7. Fry the remaining chicken.